Monday, March 19, 2007

Guillain Barre Exit

After four months of zero improvement, the diagnosis of Gillaine Barre has changed! It isn't GBS that I have at all. It seems that an X-ray taken recently has revealed a ruptured disc in the thoracic section of my spine. My Neurosurgeon friend informed me that this has created symptoms much like GBS. The cure, however depended on an operation on that particular vertebra.

This was done at IU hospital on March 15. The "cure" entailed cleaning out considerable debris, bed rest for a few days, then residence at Rehabitation Hospital of Indiana. This is where I am now, getting an amazing amount of Physical Therapy. My son Adam has loaned me a laptop, thus allowing me to post this message.

I'm thinking positively!

Gerry

2 comments:

adama said...

Yesterday when I was walking through the gym looking for you I scanned the "crowd". What I saw made me realize that you have ALOT to be positive about. Some of the people were missing limbs, others looked like they had brain damage. Today I saw a man leaving in a wheel chair - I suspect at the end of your stay you will be walking out of there. Enjoy your time there - it's always amazing how no matter what circumstance you find yourself, there is always something to learn and to use to grow.
I love you Dad

Anonymous said...

Two months is too long not to hear about your progress! How are things going with you?

Missing you from SC!